How to fix F1?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Madhouse

Re: How to fix F1?

It is simple: bring back Bernie to run FOM.

DiogoBrand

I think it's weird that every time there's dominance people want the rules to be changes, while ignoring that most dominance spells start after a new rule set. Usually the most competitive seasons come after plenty of seasons with stability on the regulations.

Stu

DiogoBrand wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 03:30
I think it's weird that every time there's dominance people want the rules to be changes, while ignoring that most dominance spells start after a new rule set. Usually the most competitive seasons come after plenty of seasons with stability on the regulations.
Correct, I can remember when 3.5 atmospheric formula started, there was dominance. When cars went to narrow track, there was dominance. In fact during both of those eras there were multiple eras of domination. The only era where that didn’t turn around was the 2014-2021 rulesets, every constructors championship taken by a single team and only losing a clean sweep during the Covid extension year of 2021.
I’m fairly sure that the pack will get shuffled with the new engine formula coming in 2026.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

JordanMugen

DiogoBrand wrote:
2009 bucked the trend obviously, it was one of the most varied seasons ever IIRC. Even Toyota could have finally take their race win that season (but failed), but they were fast many times.

Stu wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 16:37
Correct, I can remember when 3.5 atmospheric formula started, there was dominance.
I suppose, but Williams-Renault and Ferrari were well-prepared and in a position to close the gap to McLaren-Honda. Ferrari went astray for whatever reason (why did Barnard leave for Benetton?), but Williams-Renault defeated the incumbent.

Just as Ferrari, McLaren-Mercedes and Aston Martin-Mercedes are in the position to chase down Red Bull now! We'll see if they get there. :D

ali623
ali623

DiogoBrand wrote:
I disagree with this, the most competitive seasons usually happen when a rule tweak hinders the dominant team. 2021 was only competitive between Mercedes and Red Bull because of the floor changes affecting Mercedes more.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

JordanMugen wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 16:56
2009 bucked the trend obviously, it was one of the most varied seasons ever IIRC. Even Toyota could have finally take their race win that season (but failed), but they were fast many times.
Brawn was a new team and didn't have any money to develop their car, so I think that's a bit of an outlier.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Madhouse wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 03:04
It is simple: bring back Bernie to run FOM.
The old boys era is who politisized the regulations and gave us these hybrids

Alanbell34
Alanbell34

F1 rule changes

Why on earth would anyone introduce a new set of rules in 2025? When only one team has managed to produce a car that really works.
Introducing rules that have even more aerodynamic complexity just doesn’t make sense.
Adrian Newley and his superteam must be relishing the chance to shine....again
Regards