Silly season 2024-2025

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Stu

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

If Hulkenberg is signing for Audi & Bottas is going to Haas, why don’t Mercedes offer Zhou a 1 year ‘----or-bust’ contract?
A great marketing opportunity for them!
Meanwhile, Antonelli replaces Sargeant at Williams, Sainz goes to RedBull on a 2-year deal before replacing Perez (again) at Audi.
Ricciardo to retire into a RedBull ambassador role (think DC), replaced by Lawson, who gets polished at RB before jumping into RedBull in 2027.

And then the meet-go-round will start again because…
Honda powered Aston (bye Lance, hi Yuki!).
LH contract renewal at Ferrari, Max retirement & Andretti announce Mario is coming back. Fernando continues (now sponsored by Stanar Stairlifts).
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

codetower

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
23 Apr 2024, 03:27
codetower wrote:
22 Apr 2024, 19:14
Absolutely his (or anyone's) best option, but I just don't see RB bringing him in. Sainz is very good, and obviously better than Checo, but I think Sainz' won't bring much to the team. He won't beat Max, and he's not young enough where they could keep him as long term insurance in case Max leaves. This is why someone like Lando has always been on their radar. And like I said, I don't see Sainz signing up anywhere for a #2 seat unless that's his last option.
What do you mean he wouldn't bring anything to the team ? Sainz is winning races in a Ferrari that Perez is supposed to win in the 2nd Red Bull.

Sainz beat Leclerc in 2021. He would guarantee Red Bull the constructors. Some thing that Perez failed at in 2021 as well
Nothing against Sainz, no, I said he doesn’t bring “much” to RB. They currently have by far the fastest car, by far the fastest driver, the best pit crew, the best engineers, probably the best strategy department. What I meant was that the only thing Sainz would really bring is that he’s better than Perez. Last year VER basically won the WCC by himself. It's closer this year, but I doubt they need much from their #2 driver. Sure, they would “like” a driver better than Perez, but for that they have other options to choose from. They only thing they really need, IMO, is a driver to wait and replace VER if he decides to move on in a few years.

The way I see it, unless you are very young, or have crazy talent, any driver going to RB would be going there to simply take any of the scraps that fall off of Verstappens table. And right now that can be done at Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes on occasion, possibly even Aston. How lucrative IS that second seat at Red Bull while Verstappen is still there?

Dunlay
Dunlay

Stu wrote:
23 Apr 2024, 08:25
A great marketing opportunity for them!
Meanwhile, Antonelli replaces Sargeant at Williams, Sainz goes to RedBull on a 2-year deal before replacing Perez (again) at Audi.
How did this idea become appealing that you throw a young talented driver in a backmarker team to learn "The Art of Getting Frustrated"? Then when he starts making mistakes out of that 'new skill' that he acquires, then deem him not ready yet to make it to the senior team. :lol:

Xyz22
Xyz22

Sainz will go to Audi next year already. It's absolutely clear.

Mercedes would only hire him as a stop go before Antonelli or Verstappen with a 1 year contract which means they are not really interested

Red Bull is giving priority to Perez. If his performance doesn't drop in the upcoming race they will renew his contract 100%. In fact, Sainz would be interesting for RB only if Perez starts underperforming massively and the eventual offer to Sainz would be on a low salary according to recent reports, which means the real interest is quite low.

Audi is the only Team that will give him the money he wants and at least a 2 years contract.

organic

https://f1-insider.com/formel-1-huelken ... her-63017/

German media report that Hulk to Audi is going to happen

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Hulk or Sainz to Red Bull would make things somewhat interesting there. But Hulk probably will go to Audi.

I am fairly confident that Perez will collapse when the European season starts. I had a bet last year with a friend and I won it easy.

But Perez collapsing and embarrassing the team didn't stop them from keeping him on this year. Even in 2021 , his slide cost Red Bull the constructors. And Gasly was beating him in the Alpha Tauri regularly.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

codetower wrote:
23 Apr 2024, 18:14
TeamKoolGreen wrote:
23 Apr 2024, 03:27
codetower wrote:
22 Apr 2024, 19:14
Absolutely his (or anyone's) best option, but I just don't see RB bringing him in. Sainz is very good, and obviously better than Checo, but I think Sainz' won't bring much to the team. He won't beat Max, and he's not young enough where they could keep him as long term insurance in case Max leaves. This is why someone like Lando has always been on their radar. And like I said, I don't see Sainz signing up anywhere for a #2 seat unless that's his last option.
What do you mean he wouldn't bring anything to the team ? Sainz is winning races in a Ferrari that Perez is supposed to win in the 2nd Red Bull.

Sainz beat Leclerc in 2021. He would guarantee Red Bull the constructors. Some thing that Perez failed at in 2021 as well
, any driver going to RB would be going there to simply take any of the scraps that fall off of Verstappens table. And right now that can be done at Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes on occasion, possibly even Aston. How lucrative IS that second seat at Red Bull while Verstappen is still there?
The only reason that it's possible to pick up scraps from Verstappens table in a Ferrari or Mercedes is because Perez hasn't been performing very good all this time. If Hulk was in that car it would be a Red Bull one/two every qualifying.

CHT
CHT

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
25 Apr 2024, 00:24
Hulk or Sainz to Red Bull would make things somewhat interesting there. But Hulk probably will go to Audi.

I am fairly confident that Perez will collapse when the European season starts. I had a bet last year with a friend and I won it easy.

But Perez collapsing and embarrassing the team didn't stop them from keeping him on this year. Even in 2021 , his slide cost Red Bull the constructors. And Gasly was beating him in the Alpha Tauri regularly.
Perez will do just fine in Europe or anywhere as long as he doesnt over think in trying to beat Max in the WDC. Nico will be perfect driver for Audi, a German + with vast experience in F1

langedweil

AMUS posted already earlier about it this morning.
And so is Van Haren ...

If so, I wonder the length of his gardening leave :o)
HuggaWugga !

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

So now that the possibility of Max leaving RBR has increased slightly, Sainz is in position for a coup of a lifetime.

DGP123
DGP123

CaribouBread wrote:
25 Apr 2024, 17:43
So now that the possibility of Max leaving RBR has increased slightly, Sainz is in position for a coup of a lifetime.
If that was to happen, the problem for Sainz, is that he’s likely to end up being what Russell was to Mercedes. Arriving at RB, just as the place is about to burn down.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

DGP123 wrote:
25 Apr 2024, 17:48
If that was to happen, the problem for Sainz, is that he’s likely to end up being what Russell was to Mercedes. Arriving at RB, just as the place is about to burn down.
True, and that's a good example. But the RBR would still be a race winning and championship contending outfit in '25, Newey leaving won't really change that. Perhaps Sainz can angle for a WDC before everything turns to ashes. :mrgreen:

langedweil

I'd say AMR will be a better fit for AN .. can't see him move to Italy really.
Aside from that, there's Honda from 2026 onwards. And with that, Ver could easily move along.
But time'll tell ...
HuggaWugga !

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

Don't McLaren have a vacancy in their technical team? 😉

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

PapayaFan481 wrote:
25 Apr 2024, 20:59
Don't McLaren have a vacancy in their technical team? 😉