Red Bull RB20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
venkyhere
venkyhere

Re: Red Bull RB20

AR3-GP wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 15:48
We like to say F1 cars are extremely stiff, but the suspension movement here is very perceptible from weaving at only safety car speed. :wtf:

I have a theory about how heave, roll, and corner stiffnesses are decoupled. This would explain how you can keep the car off the ground in high speed corners, while maintaining good compliance for individual wheel corner kerb strikes.
If the rear diff is locked and then the driver does the weaving, the rear wheels will slip a lot, tyre temp will get generated nicely, rear suspension is subjected to a lot of lateral load changes (hence the body roll that we see from that rear facing camera, for such a tiny movement from steering wheel at low speed). In a normal corner during the race, the diff will never be locked (could be fully open or partial) and the body roll will be reduced for the same speed.

SiLo

I think it's the entire wing flexing as the car turns, rather than suspension.
Felipe Baby!

KimiRai
KimiRai

SiLo

RB have the most interested floor geometries of all the teams. Nobody else even comes close.
Felipe Baby!

r85
r85

SiLo wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 10:36
RB have the most interested floor geometries of all the teams. Nobody else even comes close.
Yep, really shows how much you can focus on the intricate and tiny details once you get the fundamentals right.

KimiRai
KimiRai

SiLo

The magenta section I have drawn over here is VERY interesting. I don't think we have seen any kind of curvature on other cars in this area have we?
Felipe Baby!

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Williams have similar features. Hasn’t been discussed much though.

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

organic

Rb20 at miami

📸 Piola for Motorsport.com

Farnborough
Farnborough

I like these "build" pictures of the chassis at this stage of race weekend.

Horizontal air intakes look to be on the larger size of those we've seen so far this year.

Clear view of top front suspension top beam "crossbow" link that's not often in view fully with covers off. Can't believe there's never much discussion about what they do with this design, one of the fundamental differentiators of this chassis amongst all the others.

This was notably compliant (the whole platform) from that onboard rearward facing camera during safety car period in China.

organic

Nothing notable but nice shot of floor edge wing

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Farnborough wrote:
02 May 2024, 17:48
I like these "build" pictures of the chassis at this stage of race weekend.

Horizontal air intakes look to be on the larger size of those we've seen so far this year.

Clear view of top front suspension top beam "crossbow" link that's not often in view fully with covers off. Can't believe there's never much discussion about what they do with this design, one of the fundamental differentiators of this chassis amongst all the others.

This was notably compliant (the whole platform) from that onboard rearward facing camera during safety car period in China.
Early RB18 thread and a separate suspension thread had some discussion about the beam upper susp. element. Didn't get to any concrete kinematic conclusion however. It really is unique!

Farnborough
Farnborough

Something else I believe is significant, displayed here from pushing the car on that dusty surface .... shows the static camber set on the chassis.

Here you can see how relatively flat the rear tire is presented, when historically and conventional thinking has used more static rear to counter high lateral load / roll etc under those high load condition.

Seems fundamental in these 18" and on this chassis, to tire usage and lifing which others are gradually moving toward under these rules.

Ultimately it will preserve the tread gauge through stint in more even a fashion (rather than eat the inner shoulder region) and likey at cost of reduced absolute, absolute pace. Could account for being a little closer to the others in Q as not able to touch such a high peak ..... but with bigger payoff in performance envelope during slower race pace scenario.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

I think Pirelli set a 2deg limit on the rear, 3.5deg on the front anyway.

You’ll want less for traction probably.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Luscion
Luscion