2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Apparently, McLaren were requested by the FIA to have him tour their garage, so it wasn't an invite from Zak as per this report. Either way, events have overtaken all this, great win for the team!
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mclaren111

FittingMechanics wrote:
05 May 2024, 21:32
I mean, we all want to Make McLaren Great Again! :)

=D> =D>

CjC
CjC

Yea Verstappen made a rare mistake because it’s rare that he’s put under pressure.
Oscar and the Ferraris put him under that pressure to cause the mistake.

Lando had extremely good race pace which opened up lots of different strategy options and he nailed one of them.

I thought Oscar had a good race, he was on the receiving end of some more bad luck again, I feel Sainz was angry during the race and decided to hand out some of his own penalties, which he did- only to be penalised himself for doing so :lol:
It’s just a shame that it benefitted Perez and Oscar still didn’t score any points :roll:

My only criticism about Oscar is that he seems to struggle to fully get 100% out of all 3 compounds, he didn’t look as fast on the hard as he did on the Medium hence why he got tangled up with Sainz, when on the Mediums the Ferraris couldn’t get close enough to Oscar.

Doesn’t matter though, the race is all about Lando =D> =D>
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

We lucked with the Safety car and the fresher tyres, otherwise it would have been a different race. Whether the damage made much of a dent to Verstappen is neither here nor there. He certainly did 2 slower laps after that and before pitting, but this could be deg or anything else. We were certainly the faster car. But that doesn't make us automatically deserving of wins, the car needs to perform well on a Saturday for that too.
Last edited by mwillems on 06 May 2024, 11:46, edited 1 time in total.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

CjC wrote:
06 May 2024, 11:23
Yea Verstappen made a rare mistake because it’s rare that he’s put under pressure.

Lando had extremely good race pace which opened up lots of different strategy options and he nailed one of them.

I thought Oscar had a good race, he was on the receiving end of some more bad luck again, I feel Sainz was angry during the race and decided to hand out some of his own penalties, which he did- only to be penalised himself for doing so :lol:
It’s just a shame that it benefitted Perez and Oscar still didn’t score any points :roll:

My only criticism about Oscar is that he seems to struggle to fully get 100% out of all 3 compounds, he didn’t look as fast on the hard as he did on the Medium hence why he got tangled up with Sainz, when on the Mediums the Ferraris couldn’t get close enough to Oscar.

I do think we need to give some slack to Piastri. He did not have the full update yet he was able to overtake Leclerc and keep him behind, only losing about 1.5 seconds to Verstappen till the pitstops. He did a great job.

On Hards it looked slightly worse for him but we have to keep in mind he was in a Ferrari sandwich, with Leclerc having DRS from Verstappen for a while. Piastri ended up falling out of DRS quickly and then was pressured constantly by Sainz. This meant he couldn't really bring the tyres in properly and probably overcooked them as a result. But even without that, he was about to end up P5 without the full update. Great work.

Btw if SC came out a lap earlier, we would have had Piastri in P1, Sainz in P2 and Norris in P3 ahead of Verstappen. That would have been crazy.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
06 May 2024, 11:41
CjC wrote:

I do think we need to give some slack to Piastri. He did not have the full update yet he was able to overtake Leclerc and keep him behind, only losing about 1.5 seconds to Verstappen till the pitstops. He did a great job.

On Hards it looked slightly worse for him but we have to keep in mind he was in a Ferrari sandwich, with Leclerc having DRS from Verstappen for a while. Piastri ended up falling out of DRS quickly and then was pressured constantly by Sainz. This meant he couldn't really bring the tyres in properly and probably overcooked them as a result. But even without that, he was about to end up P5 without the full update. Great work.

Btw if SC came out a lap earlier, we would have had Piastri in P1, Sainz in P2 and Norris in P3 ahead of Verstappen. That would have been crazy.
I suspect that the nose was the differentiator here in terms of conditioning the flow, so he got the important update. There was never 2 tenths between them all weekend and Piastri looked very strong here.

He had a very good race, had a little bad luck and had a moment that cost him. But he showed yesterday that the car suits him, he can make the tyres work and he can fight to be at the front.

mwillems

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/274687/v ... -prix.html

Asked if Norris could have won the race even without the free pit stop during the safety car, the McLaren driver admits that would not have been a certainty. "It would have been tough. I would have had to take two Ferraris. Red Bull, Oscar. Oscar was doing a very good job, so hats off to him," he praised his teammate, who fell far back in the rankings due to a collision with Sainz.

And the quote of the season:

Verstappen joined Norris in making it clear that he has little use for 'what if' scenarios, making a curt comparison. "I mean, it's always if, if, if, right. If my mom had balls, she would be my dad. (Laughs) It's how it goes in racing. Sometimes it works out for you, sometimes it doesn't," said the championship leader.

:D :D :D

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

That is probably a dutch saying - I know my language has a similar one.

Big Tea

Taking nothing at all from the car or driver, it once again shows the advantage of being the leading car.
We have seen it with which ever was the dominant car of the time, from in the lead you are very hard to catch.
Not only the leader, but look at the difference when a lower field driver gets into the top end of the field, they look like a different car.

Its the way it is, no one to blame, but I hope we will see McLaren in front more often now.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

avantman
avantman

CjC wrote:
Which pressure? he was 3 seconds in front. That mistake had nothing to do with the pressure. It wasn't even driving mistake. He had a little moment in super low speed, had to correct an over steer which would compromise his line into chicane. In no time he made a deliberate choice to cut the chicane deliberately in order to not lose any time, that's a trick officially allowed by the FIA in the modern rule book. You can cut the track three times without any penalties even if it gains you time. That's a track design issue, if there was a wall, grass or gravel, Max would not have gotten any damage there.

That was a decision making mistake, the decision was made when it was too late, whereas he could've easily stayed on track, just losing 0.5s at worst. That's it. Pressure? What pressure? Stop dreaming mate.
Last edited by avantman on 06 May 2024, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.

ollandos
ollandos

https://prnt.sc/hMNCwcUOjkQD

thank you Lando .......believe in McLaren ( the bet is before race Q)

mclaren111

Darth-Piekus wrote:
06 May 2024, 01:19
So regarding Donald Trump I said some hours before that he might bring a little bit of his aura. How right I was.

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Emag
Emag

I am waiting for Formula 1 to release some "Road to first victory" video for Lando. Almost 90% sure it's coming. Would be nice to playback some of the good (and bad) memories of Lando's journey so far.

mclaren111

BMMR61 wrote:
06 May 2024, 05:44
To Lando and the team - "we knew you could and would do it in 2024, well done all of you including Oscar!" - from the true papaya fans who never gave up.

My main worry about the win was that if it turned out to be a hollow victory. Nothing of the sort here, when Lando kept banging in fastest laps on the mediums, I wondered if they had a plan for the new softs in a one stop race. we'll never know but I was amazed how much the Lando tyre massaging got him into the position of dominance. It was a top shelf drive and the most popular of wins, with the other drivers, the fans, and even the naysaying media. The media said McLaren were not a force from the start of the year. Slice of humble pie please, or, those of you in USA, a serving of crow!

It's hard to imagine a prouder time for a McLaren fan since Bruce and Denny climbed into their orange M7As at The Race of Champions in 1968 to Miami 2024. I guess Monza 2021 was very special too. For Andrea Stella, the mastermind behind the recovery from the flawed James Key designed MCL60 he has stayed calm and focussed, led the team to believe in an upward trajectory. So good top see the outpouring of emotion today. This looks like a beast we may dare to believe is the beginning of something big.

I would also make a special mention of Peter Prod and his team...

genarro
genarro

Do we have any information about the mastercard sponsorship? Considering that they won now the team has increased their stakes of geting the sponsorship.