2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

mkay wrote:
06 May 2024, 00:58
ringo wrote:
06 May 2024, 00:52

The car deserately needs upgrades. It has potential when its in the right window. Still lakcs top speed too.

Hamilton was about 0.5s/lap slower than Norris despite being on the better tyre post-SC.

Mercedes has a lot of ground to make up, in particular through and out of slower corners.
How could you tell his real pace when he was stuck behind perez? Debbie downer much?

Missed out on the SAI penalty by tenths, shame.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

PlatinumZealot

Yeah wpuld have cut to gap to George. It seems normal service resumed once Lewis stopped experimenting. Juat like in 2022 and 2023.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Luscion
Luscion

Explains why Merc have been so slow with upgrades and havent brought anything major as yet, also Lewis said after the race that there will be small upgrades in Imola, so i guess so much for that report of a big upgrade there. At least Shovlin has said they will be bringing upgrades the next 4-5 races

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... tze-miami/

Mercedes is only fourth in Miami. In qualifying, the Silver Arrow drivers were eight tenths off the lead. The problems lie in tyre management. The Silver Arrow heats up the rubber too quickly. Last season it was the other way round.
Tough further development

At least the engineers know where the problem lies. However, according to Russell, there is no easy solution in sight. "We recognise in the data why we are in this situation. We now have to turn back development and stop halfway. Unfortunately, that takes time. Upgrades have to be designed, then tested in the wind tunnel and finally built - and then the season is already half over. That's why it's so difficult to get out of a hole. We would like it to be quicker. But unfortunately that's the reality."

Toto Wolff is also becoming impatient: "Everyone else is constantly taking steps forwards. And for us, it's incredibly slow. It's enough to make you tear your hair out. It's so annoying that the same problems with the tyres overheating keep cropping up. The only thing we can do is keep working, keep developing and hope that we can get back on track like McLaren last year."

Formula 1 fan
Formula 1 fan

Exactly what upgrades are Mercedes expected to bring to Imola, if anyone knows?

mstar
mstar

ringo wrote:
06 May 2024, 00:52
Hamilton has the teeth on the team. As much criticism as he gets, George cannot make wine out of water like Lewis does.
This weekend in Miami was promising.
Fighting spirit in the sprint, and elite craft to navigate some tough competition in the race and chasing down Perez. A strong weekend for Lewis. He just needs a better car to get back into his driving god mode. Lol.
Russel was nowhere, but he did have a much better qualifying as usual.
The car deserately needs upgrades. It has potential when its in the right window. Still lakcs top speed too.
Russel just 10 points ahead of Lewis. This will soon evaporate in the next 5 races.
Russel is talented but just doesnt seem to know how to lead the development direction from a driver's perspective. He is just driving to outqualify Lewis race by race.
Yes i was disappointed with George he seemed to be so slow compared to lewis. It could be just lewis in race conditions is elite driver with max. George car didn't hit anyone but he and his engineer where trying tyre things like going slow to get temps down, diff settings all race but nothing worked i think it was just he was just slow??? lewis another battling drive really aggresive, fast and great consistency. I think this maybe another sign that George is good BUT he isn't a elite talent like max or lewis -over a season.

Luscion
Luscion

Formula 1 fan wrote:
06 May 2024, 11:31
New floor, changes to the sidepods and new rear wing is what was reported they were bringing for imola initially, but who knows now as Lewis said "small upgrade" there

Formula 1 fan
Formula 1 fan

Luscion wrote:
06 May 2024, 13:23
Formula 1 fan wrote:
06 May 2024, 11:31
New floor, changes to the sidepods and new rear wing is what was reported they were bringing for imola initially, but who knows now as Lewis said "small upgrade" there
Okay, thank you for informations.

Big Tea

I have a "feeling" that a small upgrade is what will fix this car. Although it may not be the next one or even the one after, or even this season.
The car show promise then for no apparent reason it is a rat. Something minor is throwing everything out and they are rudderless.
Lets hope it is this next minor tweek that does it
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

I see the teammate battle suddenly 'matters' again.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

For those who like and support Lewis, why not simply acknowledge that he did a great job yesterday and leave George out of it? So George had a not so great race yesterday, but that will continue to ebb and flow during the season as it has in the past two years. They are two quite evenly matched drivers and will continue to be, so why try to invent a narrative that will constantly be proven wrong? It will only lead to pages and pages of my driver is better than yours which there is enough of on other sites…

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Tvetovnato wrote:
06 May 2024, 16:05
For those who like and support Lewis, why not simply acknowledge that he did a great job yesterday and leave George out of it? So George had a not so great race yesterday, but that will continue to ebb and flow during the season as it has in the past two years. They are two quite evenly matched drivers and will continue to be, so why try to invent a narrative that will constantly be proven wrong? It will only lead to pages and pages of my driver is better than yours which there is enough of on other sites…
It’s both camps; one camp is hung up on Lewis and the other is hell bent on seeing Lewis fail.

Of all the driver pairings, those two are indiscernible, and it distracts from the real issue of the team’s issues and it being a mid pack team now.

Like I said, Lewis and George are much closer to each other than Merc is RB, Ferrari, and now Mclaren, and that should be the real story.

rifrafs2kees
rifrafs2kees

Tvetovnato wrote:
I find the constant denigrating of one driver every weekend annoying as well, this week being George's turn.
Before you call me a Hamilton hater, I've watched f1 for going on 15 years because of him; I support him, not necessarily mercedes.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Hoffman900 wrote:
06 May 2024, 16:31
Tvetovnato wrote:
It’s both camps; one camp is hung up on Lewis and the other is hell bent on seeing Lewis fail.

Of all the driver pairings, those two are indiscernible, and it distracts from the real issue of the team’s issues and it being a mid pack team now.

Like I said, Lewis and George are much closer to each other than Merc is RB, Ferrari, and now Mclaren, and that should be the real story.
Exactly. It is possible to just accept that both drivers sometimes get it wrong/are out of the right window with a car as edgy as this, and just appreciate that they both try to turn things around for the good of the team.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Hoffman900 wrote:
06 May 2024, 16:31
Tvetovnato wrote:

It's extremely childish to be fighting for one driver over another. It was a great race by Lewis with some really fine driving. At this point, there is nothing for George to prove and it seems he is focusing on just bringing the car home without much risk.