Adrian Newey Leaves Red Bull Racing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Raleigh
Raleigh

Re: Adrian Newey Leaves Red Bull Racing

Bill wrote:
03 May 2024, 10:27
when Renault pu was bad Newey left to go and play with boats .redbull have leant that they can survive without him,no one man design the car alone he is not even technical director. The next generation car will be heavily pu dependent that should be red bull worry
Newey doing the America's Cup was the year Red Bull took a major nosedive in form (2015). Newey came back for the next car and hasn't stepped back in the same way since.

nico5

CHT wrote:
03 May 2024, 12:53
taperoo2k wrote:
03 May 2024, 12:30
CHT wrote:
03 May 2024, 02:52
"Adrian has been extremely important to Red Bull's success, but over time his role has changed a bit."
"Of course I would have preferred him to stay but I also really trust that the technical team that we have apart from Adrian is very, very strong and they have demonstrated that in recent years with the competitiveness of the car."
“So from the outside it seems very dramatic, but when you actually know what's going on within the team, it's not as dramatic as it seems. - Max

This is why I say Max is smart and this give the team the confidence to move forward without AN. On the other hand, LH was talking about how fantastic it will be for AN to join him at Ferrari, which indirectly is undermining Ferrari current technical team.
It's not doing anything of the sort. Ferrari have been chasing Newey for years, and they might finally succeed in getting him. John Elkann has been making big moves behind the scenes to get Ferrari back to winning. He bent over backwards to give Lewis the things Mercedes wouldn't give him. They'll do the same with Newey if that's where he's headed. Newey's experience with ground effect and suspension knowledge is the foundation for Red Bull's current dominance. The technical team is something he built, without Newey Red Bull wouldn't be as good as they are. The challenge for Horner is to keep that technical group together. Ferrari are interested in getting Wache, getting Newey on board could open that door.

The real issue for Red Bull is the Power Unit. If Max were to leave for Mercedes, that might be an indication the Red Bull PU project is way behind the rest.
If there is any chance of Ferrari getting AN to move to Italy, it must have already been a done deal, just like Ferrari signing LH. For LH to openly endorsing AN that may not be the wisest thing to do. Almost like openly complimenting on other women, before wedding day
Lol they’ve already consummated that marriage, so much for the “before wedding” metaphor. LH knows, CL knows, RB know.

Andi76
Andi76

Raleigh wrote:
03 May 2024, 14:48
Bill wrote:
03 May 2024, 10:27
when Renault pu was bad Newey left to go and play with boats .redbull have leant that they can survive without him,no one man design the car alone he is not even technical director. The next generation car will be heavily pu dependent that should be red bull worry
Newey doing the America's Cup was the year Red Bull took a major nosedive in form (2015). Newey came back for the next car and hasn't stepped back in the same way since.

I'm sorry to say this but it's simply not true. Newey himself admits in several interviews that his contribution to the current ground effect cars was minimal. On the RB18, the first of these cars, he says he "only" took care of the suspension. It was the media that always played up Newey's role and hyped him as the great, ingenious creator of the concept of the RB18-20, the complex underbody and practically everything about these cars (even more than before), something that Newey always made clear was wrong. But the media never cared. Newey has not been primarily involved in F1 cars for almost 10 years (as he has said himself several times), but divides his work between hypercars, sailing yachts and F1 and no longer works so much but spends a lot of time in South Africa. In addition, the days of an F1 designer designing the whole car or even the front wing and floor are over 30 years old and the people who think that are misunderstanding the job of an F1 designer or technical director as well as a Chief Technical Officer...

What Newey has excelled at Red Bull is that his knowledge has given the team confidence not to go in the wrong direction, as well as finding solutions and specifications that have therefore offered better compromises than the competition.
But "building the car" or "its concept" - those days are long gone.

However, people like Adrian Newey or Rory Byrne can make the difference, depending on their level of involvement (which in the case of Newey they determined to a certain point) or how much they were listened to (in the case of Rory Byrne at Ferrari), because these people understand the car as a whole and what the implications are for the rear of a car, whether aerodynamically, mechanically or vehicle dynamics, if you use a round-head screw on the front wing instead of a countersunk screw.

Wouter

Andi76 wrote:
03 May 2024, 15:15
I'm sorry to say this but it's simply not true. Newey himself admits in several interviews that his contribution to the current ground effect cars was minimal. On the RB18, the first of these cars, he says he "only" took care of the suspension.

It was the media that always played up Newey's role and hyped him as the great, ingenious creator of the concept of the RB18-20,
the complex underbody and practically everything about these cars (even more than before),
something that Newey always made clear was wrong. But the media never cared.
Newey has not been primarily involved in F1 cars for almost 10 years (as he has said himself several times), but divides his work between hypercars, sailing yachts and F1 and no longer works so much but spends a lot of time in South Africa.
All this is completely new to me and I read a whole lot of articles about and by Newey.

Could you give me the sources and links where Newey said this? Thanks.
The Power of Dreams!

Luscion
Luscion

James Vowles confirmed that Williams had met with Adrian Newey.

However, he stated that the talks were still "at the first level" and superficial.

He is waiting for them to meet again.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

CHT wrote:
03 May 2024, 12:53
taperoo2k wrote:
03 May 2024, 12:30
CHT wrote:
03 May 2024, 02:52
"Adrian has been extremely important to Red Bull's success, but over time his role has changed a bit."
"Of course I would have preferred him to stay but I also really trust that the technical team that we have apart from Adrian is very, very strong and they have demonstrated that in recent years with the competitiveness of the car."
“So from the outside it seems very dramatic, but when you actually know what's going on within the team, it's not as dramatic as it seems. - Max

This is why I say Max is smart and this give the team the confidence to move forward without AN. On the other hand, LH was talking about how fantastic it will be for AN to join him at Ferrari, which indirectly is undermining Ferrari current technical team.
It's not doing anything of the sort. Ferrari have been chasing Newey for years, and they might finally succeed in getting him. John Elkann has been making big moves behind the scenes to get Ferrari back to winning. He bent over backwards to give Lewis the things Mercedes wouldn't give him. They'll do the same with Newey if that's where he's headed. Newey's experience with ground effect and suspension knowledge is the foundation for Red Bull's current dominance. The technical team is something he built, without Newey Red Bull wouldn't be as good as they are. The challenge for Horner is to keep that technical group together. Ferrari are interested in getting Wache, getting Newey on board could open that door.

The real issue for Red Bull is the Power Unit. If Max were to leave for Mercedes, that might be an indication the Red Bull PU project is way behind the rest.
If there is any chance of Ferrari getting AN to move to Italy, it must have already been a done deal, just like Ferrari signing LH. For LH to openly endorsing AN that may not be the wisest thing to do. Almost like openly complimenting on other women, before wedding day
I've heard Lewis's full quote; he was at pains to say Ferrari have a great technical team but said it would be a privilege to work with Newey. Nothing controversial with Lewis saying any of that. He was asked a question and answered it honestly.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Luscion wrote:
03 May 2024, 17:57
James Vowles confirmed that Williams had met with Adrian Newey.

However, he stated that the talks were still "at the first level" and superficial.

He is waiting for them to meet again.
Seems a way to stay relevant in the media cycle.

search

On German Sky, Marko just said that there's quite a big difference between the colors blue and red, while dark green seems a bit closer. So sounds like he expects Newey to sign for Aston Martin.

Vanja #66

search wrote:
03 May 2024, 18:28
On German Sky, Marko just said that there's quite a big difference between the colors blue and red, while dark green seems a bit closer. So sounds like he expects Newey to sign for Aston Martin.
So basically, Newey already agreed to switch to Italy
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

chrisc90

Vanja #66 wrote:
03 May 2024, 18:32
search wrote:
03 May 2024, 18:28
So basically, Newey already agreed to switch to Italy
How do you get to that conclusion?

If anything, Marko would expect AMR as not the polar opposite to red bull

Vanja #66

chrisc90 wrote:
03 May 2024, 18:33
How do you get to that conclusion?

If anything, Marko would expect AMR as not the polar opposite to red bull
I honestly thought everyone understands what Marko's modus operandi is. Everything concerning rivals that is not quite obvious he says the opposite of he knows or thinks.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

zeph
zeph

Andi76 wrote:
03 May 2024, 15:15
I'm sorry to say this but it's simply not true. Newey himself admits in several interviews that his contribution to the current ground effect cars was minimal. On the RB18, the first of these cars, he says he "only" took care of the suspension.
I recently saw an interview with Newey where he explained how past (racing) experience made him anticipate the porpoising of the current reg cars.

Could be self-aggrandizement, but he doesn’t seem the type, so I’m gonna take him at his word. The RBR was the only one who didn’t suffer from porpoising early 2022, so I guess his experience and ingenuity are still very relevant to the team.

dren

Newey is going to go help Clarkson farm.
Honda!

chrisc90

Still on the pitwall.

So I wonder if he is still part of race operations, just not allowed to work on aero development on the car.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Joe Saward was on Missed Apex again. He reckons Aston isn't out of the Newey sweepstakes. Newey has never won Lemans. He has the opportunity to win Lemans in one of his cars at Aston. Which is a more realistic goal than fixing Ferrari.

Aston is just down the road. And Fallows might be in the mood for some input from him considering where their car is at.