2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Cs98
Cs98

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

I don't think he's leaving for another team, or he hasn't put pen to paper yet. I think he has become unhappy with his role at the team and the situation with Horner and he wants out, he'll take the gardening leave to contemplate his options and will probably spend that time sailing around the world on his brand new Oyster 885 :mrgreen:

Vanja #66

What stops Ferrari NV in Netherlands or Ferrari SpA hiring Newey directly and "keep" him away from F1 projects? What would stop them to put him in casual Ferrari clothes and bring him as Team's guest each weekend?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Sphere3758
Sphere3758

Paa wrote:
25 Apr 2024, 19:41
organic wrote:
25 Apr 2024, 18:57
This part gives me some shred of cope :mrgreen:

Craig Slater
His contractual situation is that he has contracted at Red Bull Racing until the end of 2025 and as I understand it would have to serve another year of gardening leave where Red Bull to holds him to the full extent of his contract which would mean he would not be able to work work for another Formula 1 team until 2027."

"Red Bull are also unaware as I understand it of any formal approach from another Formula 1 team to Adrian Newey and the one or two individuals I've spoken to close to Newey have expressed to me that if he is seriously considering leaving, he has not made up his mind what future direction his career should take."
This is what I was thinking about. A calibre of Newey has to have a long gardening leave. If he starts to work for an other team in 2027, he can have a meaningful effect on the 2028 car. They will be well into the new regulations by then. He could also not work on the new regulations for Red Bull in 2025. So he would miss his probably last chance to work on a car during a big regulation change (which is the most exciting part - by his words).
If he left to an other team he should have moved either earlier or later, but this would be really bad timing.
It is not impossible that if he leaves he will just retire from autosport and go designing sailing boats or something.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/cmm3v9ny78eo
Newey’s contract with Red Bull lasts until the end of 2025 but he is said to believe he can negotiate an exit that allows him to work with another team from next season.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Interesting news today. Adrian Newey is of course very valuable, but I don't think this news is actually the turning point for Red Bull. There's a turning point, but it started long before horner-gate, and long before any power struggle between Horner and Marko. It started when they decided to build their own power unit.

Red Bull will likely continue to be competitive through 2025 even without Newy. With ever smaller performance margins in 2025, Verstappen himself will make enough difference. Even at equal odds to Ferrari, the Leclerc-Hamilton infighting will benefit Verstappen in the championship.

From 2026 onwards, I have long believed that Red Bull's power unit would be their downfall. It wouldn't matter whether Newey was with the team or not. They cannot win championships with a bad PU as we saw in the past.

Of course, if Red Bull actually manage to build a competitive power unit for 2026, then Newey's absence may be decisive and one could begin to lament it, but since I never believed that they would, I don't see his departure being the decisive element. There's enough momentum to still win in 2025, but they were always going to fall because of their PU not Newey.

For those teams likely to have a competitive PU in 2026 (Honda, Merc, Ferrari), acquiring Newey's services may prove to be decisive.

organic

Sky have updated their story saying that Newey has informally confirmed this to be true to several senior Red Bull Racing personnel

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... wo-decades

So it's done. It's just a matter of what he will do. I imagine there will be a contractual dispute and he will take it to court much like Dan Fallows, red bull will pay his wages whilst he's on gardening leave and he'll be at Ferrari before 2026. Or he will be retiring which obviously is a better situation for Red Bull and other rivals.

dren

AR3-GP wrote:
25 Apr 2024, 20:16
Interesting news today. Adrian Newey is of course very valuable, but I don't think this news is actually the turning point for Red Bull. There's a turning point, but it started long before horner-gate, and long before any power struggle between Horner and Marko. It started when they decided to build their own power unit.

Red Bull will likely continue to be competitive through 2025 even without Newy. With ever smaller performance margins in 2025, Verstappen himself will make enough difference. Even at equal odds to Ferrari, the Leclerc-Hamilton infighting will benefit Verstappen in the championship.

From 2026 onwards, I have long believed that Red Bull's power unit would be their downfall. It wouldn't matter whether Newey was with the team or not. They cannot win championships with a bad PU as we saw in the past.

Of course, if Red Bull actually manage to build a competitive power unit for 2026, then Newey's absence may be decisive and one could begin to lament it, but since I never believed that they would, I don't see his departure being the decisive element. There's enough momentum to still win in 2025, but they were always going to fall because of their PU not Newey.

For those teams likely to have a competitive PU in 2026 (Honda, Merc, Ferrari), acquiring Newey's services may prove to be decisive.
I'd say it happened when Mateschitz died.
Honda!

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

AR3-GP wrote:

There's literally zero evidence or anything that Red Bulls power unit will be bad. The building is full of Mercedes and Honda engineers. Horner bringing up the low power issues a year ago turned out to be vindicated by F1's own tests. If anything , it shows that Red Bull is the furthest ahead.

The whole narrative is based around fizzy drinks company can't build engines. That was the same nonsense we heard about the chassis.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
25 Apr 2024, 21:21
AR3-GP wrote:

There's literally zero evidence or anything that Red Bulls power unit will be bad. The building is full of Mercedes and Honda engineers. Horner bringing up the low power issues a year ago turned out to be vindicated by F1's own tests. If anything , it shows that Red Bull is the furthest ahead.

The whole narrative is based around fizzy drinks company can't build engines. That was the same nonsense we heard about the chassis.
I also was one of the first people to say" they've hired XYZ engineers from team ABC so it will be fine" but no longer think it is that simple. Having a bunch of people in the room and having them actually work together effectively is quite a task. There's so much to build up in terms of procedures, communication, making sure people are deployed in their strengths, and so on. When a large number of people are coming from different organizations, it can be difficult for ideas to blend. Everyone does something differently (software, etc).

Red Bull did not build a chassis before but it took them until 2009 to win races. If it takes them 4 years to have a good power unit, then 2026 can be written off.

I'm happy to be wrong but Horner said it himself. It's an incredible task to be ready for 2026. I think their first worry for 2026 would be the power unit. After that, they should be worried about having Newey and even worried about having a driver...

organic

Max to Mercedes feels pretty likely to me now

Paa

organic wrote:
25 Apr 2024, 22:12
I wouldn't say it is impossible, but I think that still "Red Bull - Newey" is much stronger than current Merc.
If this stops here, I don't see Max moving to Merc. If this is a start of Red Bull breakdown and people start leaving then yeah. Max would probably move together with a bunch of key people.

But I also think that Waché is more likely to stay with Red Bull, if Newey leaves. (finally he will get full credit for the work, possibly higher salary etc)

Other reason why Max would leave if he has info that the engine is a dud, but I think it is too early for that. Possibly non of the teams know where they stand with that.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

organic wrote:
It looks feasible if Newey goes that Max would as well.

Just makes you wonder what Red Bull would do driver wise if Max goes? It seems they've planned
everything around Max until 2028.
Paa wrote:
25 Apr 2024, 22:24
organic wrote:
Other reason why Max would leave if he has info that the engine is a dud, but I think it is too early for that. Possibly non of the teams know where they stand with that.
The PU's are already on the dyno's, the manufacturers will have a fair idea of where they stand. I think Horners calls for tweaks to the PU regulations for 2026 were rejected. I think Red Bull will eventually produce a quality PU, but getting that right off the bat in 2026? That's a tall order.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Unbelievable really to see Red Bull imploding having fought tooth and nail to get back to the top.

It is interesting if Newey joins another team- as that ‘could’ suggest he isn’t confident in the PU, however perhaps he’s had his chapter here and he’s fed up of the BS egos. Perhaps he takes a break for a while before considering if there’s one more project he wants.

I felt at the time when Hamilton pulled the trigger and went to Ferrari that he’s been tipped off - whether it’s the Newey factor or the PU or simply the Red Romance factor only time will tell.

How far along will development be on 2025 cars now?

organic

Mansell89 wrote:
25 Apr 2024, 22:41
Unbelievable really to see Red Bull imploding having fought tooth and nail to get back to the top.

It is interesting if Newey joins another team- as that ‘could’ suggest he isn’t confident in the PU, however perhaps he’s had his chapter here and he’s fed up of the BS egos. Perhaps he takes a break for a while before considering if there’s one more project he wants.

I felt at the time when Hamilton pulled the trigger and went to Ferrari that he’s been tipped off - whether it’s the Newey factor or the PU or simply the Red Romance factor only time will tell.

How far along will development be on 2025 cars now?
They can't have anything in WT/CFD until the beginning of 2025 iirc

Wouter

This is the beginning of the exodus and the end of RBR's successes thanks to Horner, the power hungry guy and Yoovidhya.

They should have fired Horner immediately and appointed a new team boss then nothing would have happened at all!!

This is the beginning of the end thanks to these two "gentlemen". :evil:
The Power of Dreams!

djones
djones

Either:

1. He is going to Ferrari and this is how they got Lewis.

2. He has seen plans for the new engine and knows 2026 will be a disaster no matter how good his car design is.