McLaren MCL38

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Stu

Re: McLaren MCL38

I find this shot intriguing!!
I seem to be seeing three lower wishbone arms…
Is the front lower arm is the steering arm and the rear two arms a very narrow wishbone? (Kinematically & structurally this would seem very non-optimal).
Is the front (upper) of the two rear (lower) arms the steering arm? (Ergonomically this seems very non-optimal - putting the drivers’ family jewels in very close proximity to a directly linked wheel/rack!)

Three pivots just doesn’t work!

Great idea for aero conditioning though!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Marc.W

Stu wrote:
05 May 2024, 10:18
Is the front lower arm is the steering arm and the rear two arms a very narrow wishbone? (Kinematically & structurally this would seem very non-optimal).
Is the front (upper) of the two rear (lower) arms the steering arm? (Ergonomically this seems very non-optimal - putting the drivers’ family jewels in very close proximity to a directly linked wheel/rack!)

They moved the rack from in front of the lower wishbone to behind the lower wishbone

venkyhere
venkyhere

This is now Ackerman steering :D with steering rod 'behind the axle line'.
Jokes apart, in what way does it influence the assembly / repairs / adjustments to be done in the paddock ? easier/harder/nodifference ?

Stu

Marc.W wrote:
05 May 2024, 11:19
Stu wrote:
05 May 2024, 10:18

They moved the rack from in front of the lower wishbone to behind the lower wishbone

Thank you! I had forgotten that, steering column does look ‘close’ to driver anatomy!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

michl420
michl420

Yeah, I also thought that there must be a mechanic steering column to the cylinder and it would be probably between the drivers leg, which would be odd.

f1rules
f1rules

One have to admire the non-size gearbox, incredible the compactness

Emag
Emag

f1rules wrote:
06 May 2024, 10:42

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GM4gtVCXoAA ... name=large
McLaren makes those on their own. Glad to see them have this level of independence, unlike the other Mercedes customers. This car didn't look that different on the flesh when compared to the final spec MCL-60. But clearly, a lot of work went under the hood to make the platform that much better.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

f1rules wrote:

I've been looking at this photo for a couple of days now and I can't shake the feeling that the area where the air flows accelerate the most, the area where the center with the minimum pressure is located, has moved back closer to the rear, closer to the diffuser area. Perhaps thanks to this, it was possible to stabilize balance and controllability. Or this is a primer for further improvements.

But everything looks exactly like this: the pressure gradient under the floor and the center of gravity of the chassis have become much closer to each other in relation to the longitudinal axis.

Stu

f1rules wrote:

Interesting little detail at the rear of the diffuser, a change in roof height towards the outer edge to encourage outwash (working with the lower vanes on the rear hub).

SSJ4
SSJ4

mwillems

mwillems wrote:
03 May 2024, 17:46
Yes it is definately tighter all round, increasing the airflow to the wing and diffuser, on top and underneath the sidepod.

Is it wider by a little?
Turns out the bodywork is a little wider. This is why the undercuts are waterslides are deeper/wider. It'll also be helping with that dirty air, particularly at the low speeds.

Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

SiLo

Stu wrote:
07 May 2024, 12:24
f1rules wrote:

Interesting little detail at the rear of the diffuser, a change in roof height towards the outer edge to encourage outwash (working with the lower vanes on the rear hub).

I drew this up before I saw your comment but yes, that was the most interesting part or me after the incredibly small gearbox underside.
Felipe Baby!

mwillems

SiLo wrote:
07 May 2024, 14:14
Stu wrote:
f1rules wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/okwhyo5.png

I drew this up before I saw your comment but yes, that was the most interesting part or me after the incredibly small gearbox underside.
It's at the exit where I have put the scrawled red arrow, I think

Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Stu

mwillems wrote:
07 May 2024, 14:24
SiLo wrote:
07 May 2024, 14:14
Stu wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/okwhyo5.png

It's at the exit where I have put the scrawled red arrow, I think

https://i.ibb.co/1bvxZMt/Diffuser.png
Yep, that’s the bit that I was seeing.

ANDY238
ANDY238