2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LM10
LM10

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

AmateurDriver wrote:
18 May 2024, 19:13
Vanja #66 wrote:
18 May 2024, 17:51
AmateurDriver wrote:
18 May 2024, 17:49
Q1 and Q2 were just showboating. Ferrari is not serious about racing.
Reported. Ranting and nonsense have no place in team threads
Sorry for upsetting you it was not my intention to annoy people. But actually I wasn't ranting at all. I was much more the depressed than furious
I don't think you're upsetting anybody, but you for sure are annoying some people (me at least) with your posts about Ferrari not being a racing team and caring about luxury, show-offs and marketing only. It's so stupid that I feel stupid to answer you in that matter to be honest.

f1316
f1316

It was mentioned in an article on Italian motorsport that the struggles in S1 were a question of tyres “ but also of hybrid management“. I believe this is a quote from Fred but not totally sure due to how they format quotes differently (https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fe ... /10612650/).

It makes me wonder if the conservative wing choices are also somehow related to how Ferrari changed their hybrid mapping. There was a lot of talk last year about making the deployment less aggressive to help with tyre deg, and could it be possible that they went too far with this, such that the car struggles to put down the power coming out of corners and therefore requires more wing to aid traction?

As has been said, they have a lot more data than us and so there must be a reason.

BABA
BABA

I have been an avid reader of this forum and only today made an account to say this:

F1 cars are extremely complex systems of systems. I can say some people here are here purely to annoy or get their frustration out without any base understanding of engineering or how systems work.

Ferrari is my favorite team and trust me this current team has been functioning so well after a long time. If you are a mobile/race/automotive engineer you will notice it from the outside. Ferrari has a really strong base in my opinion and it’s scalable for finding more performance. Making an engineering design scalable is a really hard part keep in mind they are 0.2 seconds apart, nothing in your daily life produces system performance from such slim margins that are available in the base design…

There are absolutely good people here who supplement their opinion with proper analysis and then there are others that are just here treating this forum as facebook, freedom of opinion but come on guys!

I have high hopes for us for this season, its a long season and we will fight for podiums soon. Just wanted to say that Cheers guys

Also apologize if my English is not coherent..
Last edited by BABA on 19 May 2024, 01:54, edited 1 time in total.

deadhead

ferkan wrote:
18 May 2024, 23:39
They fixed their straighline speed immensely.
It was quite evident and Miami .. huge step up

dani5549
dani5549

Watching the 2021 and 2022 starts, maybe there is some hope today if Charles is aggresive

Vanja #66

bananapeel23 wrote:
18 May 2024, 20:53
I suspect you are overestimating the power of top speed here, as well as just how much top speed the Ferrari is lacking. Driver comments very much seem to imply that track position is king and that overtaking into turn 1 (even with DRS) will be VERY difficult. If you get out of the chicane on in first place on lap 1, you stand a very good chance of keeping said place at least until the pit stops.
Being more loaded, Ferrari have bigger base drag than RB and especially McLaren cars, they have a very slippery rear wing. So when Ferrari tries to overtake with DRS the speed difference will be around 8-10kmh lower than either RB or McLaren overtaking Ferrari. Unless Ferrari somehow have 7-8 tenths better race pace, will be very very hard to get ahead on top.

LM10 wrote:
19 May 2024, 00:42
This is starting to become a trend because it has happened on almost every race this season (not the beam wing in particular, but also and mainly the rear wing). Strange, considering the team has a million times more data than any of us. It begs the question whether they suffer from PTSD from last season. If yes, it's about time they overcome it. I don't want to talk about conservative wing choices anymore. :)

Generally speaking, since I'm more of a "glass half-full" person, even though this is the first time this season I watched the qualifying end with a bit of a disappointment (this is thanks to good form in practice sessions - I didn't pay attention to gained numbers from media), looking more into the whys and hows helps put everything more into perspective. While the upgrade package was not a small one, it also was not as huge as McLaren's who basically changed everything on the car from front to back. As per Sainz Ferrari's first upgrades were never going to adress the issues which showed up on track this season. Also, Imola was not going to play into the strengths of the car, certainly not as much as into McLaren's.

I'm inclined to say that the team still needs to further understand their new package and alone from this there's scope for more performance extraction. Optimizing the car is not an easy task. There's a reason McLaren used flow-vis in practice sessions despite having brought their upgrades in Miami already.

Let's see what tomorrow brings. With a bit of luck everything is possible.
Well, what McLaren started with and RB switched to yesterday surprised me quite a lot to be honest, using Australia level loads in Imola means a few things:

- they have better top speed and acceleration after 200kmh
- they are less loaded in medium-high speed corners so they can compensate with slightly softer suspension (without scraping the plank too much) to benefit low speed corners
- if the deg is higher than expected, they will suffer (but this is very unlikely)

Ferrari had a good Friday, but the track came towards McLaren and RB yesterday. Perhaps RB will struggle again in the race like they did in Miami and Australia, but I don't think they'd choose this setup without being sure of it. McLaren looks very, very good and Norris will be quick today.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Xyz22
Xyz22

Vanja #66 wrote:
18 May 2024, 17:54
Xyz22 wrote:
18 May 2024, 17:37
As usual the competition did a much better job through the weekend. Leclerc almost 0.3s quicker than Sainz and only P4. Not good.
It does look like they missed a chance to reduce wings, ie go for Australia/Miami spec. They can offset this if they go for S-M strategy tomorrow, maybe they will. We'll get to read post-q statements soon enough
Yeah, i have this feeling that the competition is quite a bit better than Ferrari at improving the car through the weekend. Of course, it is difficult to know if this is mainly due to the fact that Ferrari does better work at the factory before the race or just a better job done by the others in terms of track data analysis, better understanding of driver feedback, etc.

Vanja #66

Xyz22 wrote:
19 May 2024, 11:31
Yeah, i have this feeling that the competition is quite a bit better than Ferrari at improving the car through the weekend. Of course, it is difficult to understand if this is mainly due to the fact that Ferrari does better work at the factory before the race or just a better job done by the others.
Ferrari are very quick to reach their optimal setup, no doubt about it any more. On the other hand, they seem to sometimes miss a chance to anticipate how the track will evolve and how to use this to their advantage. China was a terrible example of it. This weekend, the track went towards McLaren and Red Bull setup with imrpoved grip as it got rubbered in. I have no doubt Ferrari will be kinder on their tyres in the race, but it doesn't look to me like there is a big chance to use it to a big advantage this weekend, with a guaranteed one-stop for everyone.

#BlessYouLaddie

dani5549
dani5549

Vanja #66 wrote:
19 May 2024, 11:39
Xyz22 wrote:
19 May 2024, 11:31
Yeah, i have this feeling that the competition is quite a bit better than Ferrari at improving the car through the weekend. Of course, it is difficult to understand if this is mainly due to the fact that Ferrari does better work at the factory before the race or just a better job done by the others.
Ferrari are very quick to reach their optimal setup, no doubt about it any more. On the other hand, they seem to sometimes miss a chance to anticipate how the track will evolve and how to use this to their advantage. China was a terrible example of it. This weekend, the track went towards McLaren and Red Bull setup with imrpoved grip as it got rubbered in. I have no doubt Ferrari will be kinder on their tyres in the race, but it doesn't look to me like there is a big chance to use it to a big advantage this weekend, with a guaranteed one-stop for everyone.
It may be an advantage, if they can do something similar to what Norris did in Miami

Vanja #66

dani5549 wrote:
19 May 2024, 11:46
It may be an advantage, if they can do something similar to what Norris did in Miami
Only if there's a V/SC after Max and Lando already pit. We'll see, should be a tense race

#BlessYouLaddie

venkyhere
venkyhere

Given Ferrari's 'too much wing' choice, if both Ferraris bolt on M at the start, go really long on it (say till lap 40) and then change to S for a final quickfire stint, when others are on old H ; there will be significant pace delta to have easy DRS overtakes and gain positions. But this hinges on no one benefitting from a lucky VSC/SC.

dani5549
dani5549

Vanja #66 wrote:
19 May 2024, 12:01
dani5549 wrote:
19 May 2024, 11:46
Only if there's a V/SC after Max and Lando already pit. We'll see, should be a tense race
If Charles can maintain the same laptimes as Max and Norris on new tyres then it would be a valid choice

falonso81

Not expecting anything more than a P3 today. McLaren being up there with Max may benefit us if they get in a fight for the lead.

search

falonso81 wrote:
19 May 2024, 12:25
Not expecting anything more than a P3 today. McLaren being up there with Max may benefit us if they get in a fight for the lead.
there may also be a chance to benefit strategically if Verstappen looks too much at Norris, I guess. Won't be easy for him to defend against four cars on potentially slightly different strategies.

LM10
LM10

Vanja #66 wrote:
19 May 2024, 10:00
Well, what McLaren started with and RB switched to yesterday surprised me quite a lot to be honest, using Australia level loads in Imola means a few things:

- they have better top speed and acceleration after 200kmh
- they are less loaded in medium-high speed corners so they can compensate with slightly softer suspension (without scraping the plank too much) to benefit low speed corners
- if the deg is higher than expected, they will suffer (but this is very unlikely)

Ferrari had a good Friday, but the track came towards McLaren and RB yesterday. Perhaps RB will struggle again in the race like they did in Miami and Australia, but I don't think they'd choose this setup without being sure of it. McLaren looks very, very good and Norris will be quick today.
Given their supreme deg, Ferrari could or should have gone the same route as McLaren and Red Bull. Yet, they're the ones who chose to be more conservative once again.

But it is how it is now. It's time to make the best out of the situation. You said that Ferrari might offset their aero choice by going S-M with the tires and I really hope they try it or some other aggressive strategy. Charles managed to set a time of 1:16.0 on 8 lap old Softs yesterday with only a cool down lap after each fast lap. They just need to take advantage of their deg. Softs at the start would give Charles a chance to jump Norris and then keep the pressure on Max and try to overtake him with better traction out of the last corner.
Last edited by LM10 on 19 May 2024, 13:31, edited 3 times in total.