2024 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, May 17 - 19

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
organic

Re: 2024 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, May 17 - 19

avantman wrote:
18 May 2024, 20:19
organic wrote:
18 May 2024, 20:09
avantman wrote:
18 May 2024, 18:39

It was worth 0.14s compared to his 1st run in Q3. It wasn't just the top speed that mattered, he benefited from the tow all the way on the straight. In fact the biggest gain was made in the first 70% of the straight..
Here it is.
https://postimg.cc/Js4ns0QS
He said in press conference due to over speed he misjudged T1-T2 so probably didn't gain anything overall from it
it's easy to get an Idea if he gained anything overall or not. f1-tempo will help you. it's all clear it's completely irrelevant what he said after talking to the press, not even having a look into the telemetry himself.
first two turns weren't as perfect as on his 1st run, but overall gain through that whole section is very evident, thanks to the tow.
Yes he gains 0.13s from the tow originally. Then loses about half of that through 2-3 due to misjudgement of overspeed. So the tow worth about 0.07s which was also the gap to Norris.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

SKYnRacing24 wrote:
18 May 2024, 13:36
Rikhart wrote:
18 May 2024, 13:29
IntrinsicVoid wrote:
18 May 2024, 13:26
Fire up the cameras, it's the annual Perez exposition.
I'm firmly convinced this guy does it on purpose, he always does it after some upgrade, it's like clockwork.
lool yep ,he just runs out of talent, funnily enough its at the same point of last year were he went off the boil aswell.
It also happened in 2021. Gasly was beating him the Alpha Tauri. The implosion will be magnified this year with all the other top teams catching up.

This is shaping up perfect for Sainz. Red Bull has said they think Perez is ok for 2025 because of his body of work at the start. But this implosion will cause Red Bull to rethink it all quite quickly. Albon and Hulk are locked up. They will have to think seriously about Sainz

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

dialtone wrote:
18 May 2024, 20:04
Piastri officially moved back 3 spots, as should surprise nobody.
That sucks. Passing and over all movement is a b*tch on this track. So he probably finishes there.

Rikhart
Rikhart

ringo wrote:
18 May 2024, 01:33
bananapeel23 wrote:
17 May 2024, 17:51
Xyz22 wrote:
17 May 2024, 17:42

RB will improve massively as they (almost) always do.
Currently it's giving Singapore 2023. Red Bull seems a lot worse than they usually do when they have an overnight recovery, especially with how much Max is complaining on the radio. They've only gone backwards since FP1.

I don't think it's going to be full Singapore 2023, but I really struggle to see how they will recover if they --- up their quali. Ferrari looks really, really good in race sims and if Max qualifies like p5 I don't see a way for him to get past, since Ferrari actually tends to have better tyre wear than Red Bull this season, so going long and overcutting a la 2022 isn't an option.

Red Bull car balance looks all over the place. I've never seen Verstappen going off this much before, especially not in FP.
I feel that Norris win affected him more than we think. Ferrari is throwing salt in the wound now.
But let's see! He could get it together for P3 and qualy.
Yes, clearly affected, no doubt about it. I would even say extremely affected.

TFSA

So Max made good on his promise to do two races this weekend. He's currently driving for Team Redline on Twitch. Think it will only be a 2 hour stint, but maybe more if he's up for it.

Unfortunately it's not terribly exciting to watch. Not many teams competing, and some have withdrawn.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

dialtone wrote:
18 May 2024, 17:56
Artur Craft wrote:
search wrote:
18 May 2024, 17:39
Piastri is under investigation, and it would be quite surprising if he doesn't get a +3 penalty
I doubt they will punish a podium contender and "spoil the fight up front" because somebody held up a Haas. I remember many years ago, on Silverstone, either 2015,16 or 2017, when Hamilton massively held up somebody but they obviously didn+t take his pole away. The track was packed with people wearing t-shirts of "Hammer time" and etc.

F1 is show before being a sport. That said, yeah, maybe they will punish Oscar to give Ferrari a chance to be on the podium for the tifosi
It will be punished without doubt. It’s not even funny how badly he impeded. It’s a show but there are still rules. I’ve never seen a clearer impeding penalty in my life.
Clearer impeding was in Miami when Piastri was blocked :).

But yeah, pretty clear block and penalty.

Juzh

some q3 laps

P01 verstappen 1.14.746
https://streamable.com/io4xx3

P02 piastri 1.14.820
https://streamable.com/9msuee

P04 leclerc 1.14.970
https://streamable.com/2ynms8

P06 russell 1.15.234
https://streamable.com/etpi7c

venkyhere
venkyhere

I didn't realize how effective narrative-building can be, to even the members of a group such as F1-technical. People are pulling data from different twitter sources, posting screenshots from 'F1-analytics' pages to 'prove' that the Max P1 was purely due to the 'tow'. I dont want to turn this into a facebook like driver favouritism slugfest, and I dont particularly like the man. But I respect his talent and his 'big game pressure handling ability'. He did 23.4 in S1 in his first Q3 run, then with the tow, he gained 0.066 in his second Q3 run, for S1. The display on F1tv showed it crystal clear. What more needs to be said about S1 and the tow-advantage ? The number was shown for all to see. He carried too much speed into the chicane-ish T2-T3 and lost some of the advantage he got from the tow, by making a mistake (w.r.t previous run) with his braking point choice in the second run. The nett balance gain was 0.066 in S1 w.r.t first run. He drove a much better S2 and a poorer S3 in the second run, w.r.t first. And how much was Piastri behind him by ? 0.074. I rest my case.

Why is it so hard for some of us to acknowledge someone doing a stellar qualifying lap ? A genuine F1 fan would enjoy such 'once-in-a-year' sectors which reveals real talent, rather than fall for a narrative.
2022 barcelona Q3 - LeClerc set a near-perfect lap in Q3 final run and grabbed pole after spinning out at a chicane in his first run - another example.

dialtone
dialtone

venkyhere wrote:I didn't realize how effective narrative-building can be, to even the members of a group such as F1-technical. People are pulling data from different twitter sources, posting screenshots from 'F1-analytics' pages to 'prove' that the Max P1 was purely due to the 'tow'. I dont want to turn this into a facebook like driver favouritism slugfest, and I dont particularly like the man. But I respect his talent and his 'big game pressure handling ability'. He did 23.4 in S1 in his first Q3 run, then with the tow, he gained 0.066 in his second Q3 run, for S1. The display on F1tv showed it crystal clear. What more needs to be said about S1 and the tow-advantage ? The number was shown for all to see. He carried too much speed into the chicane-ish T2-T3 and lost some of the advantage he got from the tow, by making a mistake (w.r.t previous run) with his braking point choice in the second run. The nett balance gain was 0.066 in S1 w.r.t first run. He drove a much better S2 and a poorer S3 in the second run, w.r.t first. And how much was Piastri behind him by ? 0.074. I rest my case.

Why is it so hard for some of us to acknowledge someone doing a stellar qualifying lap ? A genuine F1 fan would enjoy such 'once-in-a-year' sectors which reveals real talent, rather than fall for a narrative.
2022 barcelona Q3 - LeClerc set a near-perfect lap in Q3 final run and grabbed pole after spinning out at a chicane in his first run - another example.
I’m not sure about others but track wasn’t necessarily getting faster in s1 given it lost 5C during qualifying.

Obviously he’s put together a great lap, but just because he did a 23.4 in the previous attempt doesn’t mean he would have done the same in the 2nd attempt. We saw how big of a difference even 5 minutes make in Miami when nobody improved on their 2nd attempt.

It’s hard to know exactly what would have happened. I’m not that interested in finding out but just wanted to point out what I think is a fallacy in your argument.

PlatinumZealot

The McLaren looks lazy in the turns. Piastri had to be in point accurate to keep in centred on the ideal line. He did a harb curb ride in the last chicane. Car didn't like it. Extremely good job by him. If he had a tow like Max it would have been a diffefent story today.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Sevach
Sevach

Juzh wrote:
18 May 2024, 22:16
some q3 laps

P01 verstappen 1.14.746

P02 piastri 1.14.820

P04 leclerc 1.14.970

P06 russell 1.15.234
Leclerc hits the second yellow curb at Variante Bassa and loses him time down the next straight, he's also "conservative" into T1.
Ferrari looks awesome in Piratella and Acqua Minerale.

Max was doing an incredible lap until Rivazza 2, the tow gave the cushion for pole despite the mistake.

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

Sevach wrote:
19 May 2024, 02:58
Juzh wrote:
18 May 2024, 22:16
some q3 laps

P01 verstappen 1.14.746

P02 piastri 1.14.820

P04 leclerc 1.14.970

P06 russell 1.15.234
Leclerc hits the second yellow curb at Variante Bassa and loses him time down the next straight, he's also "conservative" into T1.
Ferrari looks awesome in Piratella and Acqua Minerale.

Max was doing an incredible lap until Rivazza 2, the tow gave the cushion for pole despite the mistake.
Charles spoke about them not being able to take the kerbs in the first couple of corners, he tried to earlier and lost control of the car. Probably due to lack of grip given their warmup issues. Can also see why he got yellow S3, it's a shame. Race pace is reportedly strong according to Stella (and Charles) so hopefully not the worst thing in the world

ringo

The nose of the Ferrari is lazy. Can see tge understeer and Leclerc holding in the steering to fight the understeer and just wait for it go away.
Max lap is more telepathic. Point and shoot. No delays. Very stable run and the video even looks more sped up that ferrari and russel. That's how sharp and early max can play between brake steering and throttle.
Leclerc had some errors in hus. Piastri's lap is clean, but it's clear the car lacks the downfirce of the Redbull. It's a little bit more nervous coming out of the corners.
Russel's lap looks great. I also like his driving style. He stays on the brake going in and out of the chicane. Very peculiar. But overall it may be just the faults and slowlness of the car why he looks more in control. It's just slower overall.
The mercedes is also bouncing a bit.
Good vidoes to give perspective.
The downforce on the redbull is still another level above others and Max is making the best out of it. Perez is fooling around and needs to replaced.
For Sure!!

Cs98
Cs98

The McLaren looks like its on rails compared to the RB and Ferrari. Minimal steering inputs, like one minor correction the entire lap. Barely looks like Piastri is pushing some places.

avantman
avantman

Cs98 wrote:
19 May 2024, 08:42
The McLaren looks like its on rails compared to the RB and Ferrari. Minimal steering inputs, like one minor correction the entire lap. Barely looks like Piastri is pushing some places.
Exactly. Quite funny that after that quali, certain characters keep pushing the same boring agenda on "red bulls look like they are on rails", "max was barely pushing", "very comfortable and predictable pole". They don't see how silly that looks, do they?
Piastri lap looks like he puts less effort, and yes, he lost 0,2s to Norris on exactly the same car in 2 final corners alone. Imagine the pace of that Mclaren.